Sunday, January 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Courtni!


I am in shock today. My little girl turned 7! How did this happen? When did she grow up? Where have the last 7 years gone? I am so lucky to have her in my life and to get to be her mom. She really is an amazing little girl. I feel horrible admiting this, but I tend to take her for granted. She is such a big help to have around and loves to take care of Bryson. I really couldn't ask for a better first child!

I worry about how our relationship is going to be when she is a teenager. She is already so stubborn and strong willed, will we butt heads? We do now a lot, so I have a hard time seeing it any different. She is so independent, which I am SO thankful for, but it makes it hard for her to remember that I am the parent sometimes I think. Sometimes she reminds me of a teenager now, so I worry about those teen years. And as my mother in law pointed out today, she is "over the hill to teenagehood". Scary thought!

I am glad she is growing up and that she is a healthy, happy child. I am so thankful for that. I just wish that we could keep them little for longer, you know? I wish we could bottle up their innocence and child like wonder so that they would never lose it. I wish I could just freeze time and really enjoy my kids without all the interruptions of every day life. Just for a day. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

So tonight, as I get ready to go to bed I am full of mixed emotions. Does anyone else feel that way on birthdays? I get so excited to celebrate with them and see their joy, but it is hard to let her grow up too.

Anyway, I love you, sweet girl! Thanks for all the joy you bring into my life!

1 comments:

Puterbaughs said...

No kidding they grow way too fast! Before you know it she will be getting baptised. I couldn't believe how old it made me feel when my first turned 8.